- ~For White backgrounds – wear ivory, tan, white, pastel colors -especially well for children
- ~Never wear patterns, plaids, stripes, checks, or prints
~Stay away from bright colors
- ~Couples or small groups should wear the same or very similar colors.
- ~Couples should not wear light or dark tones together (one person in light colored clothing and the other in dark tones)
- ~Families should wear solid colors in the same color range.
Environmental Family Portraits
- ~Casual clothing is best in medium tones for outdoor portraits-
- ~Blues are good all year; Ivory, khaki, salmon are beset in summer greens; medium tones, browns, burgundies, and grays are good choices for the fall color.
- ~Solid colors in the same tones are best for any environmental portrait. These clothing choices will convey the “family” connection.
Hair and Make-up
- ~Make-up should be natural.
- ~Lip-gloss should be avoided, as it may reflect the light and distort the lips.
- ~Hair should be styled as you see yourself — your portrait sitting should not be the time to tryout a new hairdo.
- ~Men should have their hair cut approximately one week before the portrait.
- ~Avoid large sparkle jewelry, as it may reflect light and create a costly correction
~Do not wear yellow or greens for your portrait sitting
- ~Wear darker tones with dark backgrounds
- ~Wear light clothing for lighter backgrounds and fair complexions
- ~Turtlenecks, u-neck, v-neck tops photograph well (make sure they are not too low or too high)
- ~Long sleeves are best
- ~Legs should be covered – long skirts, pants, hose
- ~Choose shoes and hose to match pants, skirts, etc. Avoid oversized shoes
- ~Hair should be styles the way you ordinarily wear it –don’t try out a new style for your portrait
- ~Wear natural make-up